Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Fan Edits

Dweeby D. told me his re-edit of "Kill Bill" got him thinking about distributing it, and I did a little research to find out how. It turns out there's a small but growing number of these. Of course, the most famous is the Phantom Edit of "Phantom Menace." By the way, did you know they found the guy who did it? And it wasn't Kevin Smith. Anyway, there's also a fan edit of "A.I." that sounds good, and a fan edit of "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier." And of course, there's the fan-made trailers.

Anyway, I still don't know how Dweeby's going to release his version. There's no "fan edit central" than I can see. I think posting anonymously on forums and letting people download it off the P2P networks might work. But I realized Dweeby's going to have to go back and make the editing cleaner if he wants to release his version. The jumps and static won't cut it among the big boys.

Here's a more comprehensive series on the whole fan edit phenomenon at Zap2It.

2 comments:

Maurice Mitchell said...

The trailer for "Batman Begins" was totally awesome! I've been trying to cobble together a Batman Begins poster and it sucks compared to this guy's. I especially love the tagline "The death of two...will lead to the destiny of one". Makes me rethink my whole "Spy vs. Spy" trailer.
And the story of those two fan edits are amazing. A good version of Star Trek 5? I didn't think it was possible.

Nigel G Mitchell said...

I never even saw that trailer. Looks like it's been taken offline, because the links don't work anymore.