Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Bagel Mania: My Opinion of Flavored Bagels

What's up with bagels these days? My company offers free bagels on Fridays, and invariably I have to go on the hunt through the box for the elusive plain bagel. That's all I eat - plain bagels. I like bagels. Don't get me wrong. That's why I won't eat bagels with any other crap in them. And what psychotic chef is coming up with this stuff? Even if I do get one that I think is plain, I'm still nervous. Are those seeds or flecks of cheese? Are those raisins, chocolate chips, or jalapeno peppers? Is it going to taste like onions? I'm afraid to bite into a bagel these days. I've tried going through the bagels and sniffing them, one by one, but people tend to be shy about eating bagels that've been up against my nose. So I just have to pick one and take my chances. This morning I bit into a bagel with powdered sugar and cinnamon on it. That's just disgusting. If I wanted brown sugar and cinnamon, I'd eat a cinnamon bun. If I wanted jalapeno peppers, I'd eat a burrito. I just want a plain bagel with plain cream cheese. And don't get me started on cream cheese.
Originally written 9/2/05

3 comments:

glomgold said...

But that's why we need the onions and garlic on the bagels, so we won't have to deal with the raspberry cheddar swirl cream cheese.

Maurice Mitchell said...

I agree plain bagels are awesome. They go with every type of cream cheese. However, my absolute favorite is the cinnamon raison bagels and I think chocolate chip bagels are the nastiest things in the earth.

Nigel G Mitchell said...

Okay, cinnamon-raisin are the one exception to the rule. Those are good.