Thursday, March 04, 2004

Albertson's Sucks

As you know, I've been a loyal Albertson's supporter for several years now. In fact, in the past two years whenever I've moved somewhere, one of my first thoughts is "Where's the nearest Albertson's?" The reason is simply that it was the only grocery store chain that didn't require you to sign up for those stupid "discount cards."

Observant readers will have noticed that I used to word "was" in that last sentence. That's right. I went to Albertson's and got asked the question I dread when I shop at Fry's or Basha's. "Do you have your card?" And the next inevitable question was "Would you like to sign up for one?" There it was, a little sign advertising the new "preferred shopper" card. Albertson's caved in. I'm very upset about this, and know I'm not the only one. I didn't say anything, but the woman in line after me said what I was thinking, "I'm disappointed that you went to the cards." Now I don't have anywhere to shop to get away from inflated prices and Big Brother.

And if you think I'm exaggerating the problem, check out nocards.org. Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

No comments: