Thursday, February 12, 2004

E-Mail News: Bride or Widow?

I'm going to start posting odd news and responding with e-mails. Yes, I'm stealing this idea from Jim Rome, but if I had access to email at work, I'd be sending them to him, anyway.

So today's story is about a French woman who marries her dead boyfriend. No, not married and then he dies. No, not marrying his corpse. Yes, she went through a wedding ceremony in which she pledged her marriage to her boyfriend who had been killed in a car crash in 2002. She said it was because she still loved him so much. Surprisingly, this is legal in France if the president authorizes it, which he did. There's a law for that? Like there's such an overwhelming demand for it?

French judge1: Sir, sir, we have to do something! The office is flooded with people!
French judge2: What for?
French judge1: They want to marry their dead boyfriends and girlfriends! The place is packed with them!
French judge2: By golly, we need a law for this. Mr. President?
French President: Sure, I'll sign it. Dead boyfriend? No problem. Makes perfect sense to me.
--
Dear Nigel,

Marry your boyfriend *after* he's dead? Why didn't I think of that? That's quite a time-saver.

Signed,
Anna Nicole Smith
Categories: news