Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Milk and Cereal?

I was at the dollar store last week and they had some of those milk and cereal bars, Frosted Flakes flavor. I admit, I've been curious about them, although I've been equally offended. Have we gotten so lazy and rushed in American society that we can't even bother to pour cereal into a bowl? But I was curious (that whole "pouring cereal into a bowl" thing is kind of tedious), so I bought some.

I took one bite and my first thought was "amazing." Not because it was that good, but because I realized the people who designed them are marketing geniuses. That's because "milk and cereal" bars are Rice Krispies squares. Well, Frosted Flakes squares, but you know what I mean. The "milk" is really just marshmallow, which is made from milk, I think. Or at least some kind of dairy product. Anyway, the point is that it's just candy, but it's being packaged as a breakfast alternative, even a health food. That's brilliant, if not devious.

1 comment:

Maurice Mitchell said...

I had never thought of it that way before. But, can we really say breakfast cereal is all that healthy in the first place? I think this fits under the category of "Super-snacks" that I was telling you about, where food companies are shooting for meal-replacement snacks.