Thursday, April 22, 2004

We Talkin' 'Bout Practice...: Allen Iverson

I've been trying to find a sound file of this. Allen Iverson, NBA star for the Sixers, was benched in May 2002 because he skipped practice. Afterwards, he ranted about it at a press conference and this is what he said:

"I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game...not a game...not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice, man. How silly is that? Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that and I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. (laughter from the media crowd) We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice."

Jim Rome plays this clip all the time. He said it's the essence of what's wrong with sports today. Translation, "I know practice is important but I'm a big star and I'm not going and you can't make me." I agree. I'll try to find the sound clip for the full effect. It's priceless.

No comments: