Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Quote of the Week: You Can't Handle the Truth

"[If] we've reached the point where truth--THE truth, the brutal, honest, painful truth--is to be avoided during these so-called interviews (more rightly understood for what they are--an interrogation)--if we've reached that point, and we have, then we're all pretty well screwed because we've all agreed we're going to pass ourselves off as Mr. Happy Team Player Who Lives Only To Serve The Great Corporate Gods and the ONLY result from that charade is misery of the worst kind.
- Randy on being honest during job interviews, posted on CVTips.com

3 comments:

Maurice Mitchell said...

LOL Too true. Yet life is full of other personality types and the world goes on.

Nigel G Mitchell said...

Thank you. I mean, every interview I go on now has these stupid personality tests to fill out - and which should be illegal. They ask if I think it's okay to steal from the company. Duh. No. But then they ask something like if I think a personal life is more important than my job. How do I answer something like that? If I say no, which is the truth, will that make them deny me the job? "We only want employees who will glady sacrifice their lives for us!" Not the kind of company I want to work for.

Maurice Mitchell said...

There's actually a whole internet effort to thwart those tests which leads to a cat and mouse game of trying to design the tests so they can't be faked. Here's an idea: just hire people.