Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Yellow Fever: Guys Who Like Asian Women

A while back, I read a Maxim interview with Lucy Liu where she trashed guys who are into Asian women, calling the phenomenon "yellow fever." I couldn't understand why she would be so hostile towards the Asian fixation until I did some research online. One, a memoir of what it's like to be an Asian woman and have guys treating her like a stereotype is sad. There's also a website that profiles the "asianophile," which makes some good points, although I think comparing them to pedophiles is a bit harsh. Maybe some guys like Asian women because they're so cute?

4 comments:

Maurice Mitchell said...

Hmm. An interesting article and I'm sure one could be written about the white-girl\mandingo thug too. Makes you think about how pathetic and sad it can be.
I have a little game I call "M.O.A.B". Whenever I see an older, overweight, slightly nerdy rich white guy with a cute young Asian girl I think "Mail-Order-Asian-Bride". I don't know if I'm right, but it passes the time.

Nigel G Mitchell said...

~She's got Jungle Fever, he's got Jungle Fever...~

Well, you could also write an article (and some people have) about the Asian women who chase after tall white guys instead of other Asian men. Is that White Fever? Racial fetishes exist, and we all know it, but I was surprised by the amount of anger in the Yellow Fever articles. How can it be that upsetting to be idolized? The answer, of course, is that it's a stereotype that most Asian-American women can't live up to.

By the way, the phrase "moon-faced girl with yards of hair" cracked me up every time. That is indeed the Asian female stereotype.

Anonymous said...

funny thing though, isnt moon faced what you yellow freaks call each other. so some white guy heard it and repeated it. i am right. why are all japanese racist.

Nigel G Mitchell said...

a) I'm not Japanese
b) It's more like "why are all anonymous posters racist"