Friday, December 01, 2006

Microsoft of Baby Stuff: Winnie the Pooh

In the past few months, I've become quite familiar with baby apparel and I'll say this - Winnie the Pooh owns baby stuff. It's hard to find a baby bottle or a baby sheet or baby clothes that doesn't have Winnie the Pooh characters on it. Oh, sure, there are some Sesame Street characters or Peanuts characters or even baby Tiny Toons (where did that come from?), but Winnie the Pooh is the default. He's like Microsoft. Winnie the Pooh has a monopoly. The government should step in and break them up into smaller divisions. Maybe Tigger gets baby blankets or Piglet get baby bottles.

3 comments:

Maurice Mitchell said...

Hmmm. Interesting. I never thought about what characters go on baby stuff, but I have to admit I can't think of anything but Winnie the Pooh. Why I wonder? It's not like most kids today have ever seen Winnie or read the books. Yet they dominate. Go figure.

PBS said...

Yep, that is weird. Winnie the Pooh was old when I was a child!And here I was thinking the most popular would be some Disney characters! But then again Disney has probably bought the rights to WTP.

Nigel G Mitchell said...

Yeah, I know one parent who said her daughter knew all the characters from Winnie the Pooh, but never actually seen the cartoon until she was two years old. That's what I call indoctrination. And I won't have it!