Saturday, July 15, 2006

My Goddess: Exclamations of the Future

Why is it that in movies and TV shows, people in the future don't use the expression "Oh my God" anymore? Not that we use it that much these days,but whenever something startling happens, people in the future always have some weird variation. Like "Oh my Goddess!" Or "By the Gods!" I was watching one movie last night where the future is ruled by a dictator named the Master, and everybody goes "By the Master!" They never say "holy &*!#"or "what in @*&%." I guess a more enlightened future won't have curse words. Maybe we should start working on that right now, because you wouldn't want the future to come and all the profanity to disappear, and not have a backup plan. We'd hit our thumbs with a hammer and go "Ahhh! Oh,what's that word we used to say? I wish we had some expression to use right about now!" From now on, I say "By the slippery slopes of the mighty moons of Zordlokana!" Don't laugh...in a hundred years, we'll all say it.

2 comments:

Maurice Mitchell said...

I'll bet you're talking about Battlestar Galactica, which has some of the most heartfelt curse words I've ever seen in a science fiction show. They say "Frak" like they mean it.
It does make you wonder at what point people really think about curses. Not to get too deep into it, but there are curses that the world uses today that were unheard of 20 years ago. And some that they never use anymore unless its in the most impolite company.
LOL on that new 'curse' word. In l33t-speak it would be BTSSOTMMOZ! Don't think I'm not going to use it.

Nigel G Mitchell said...

Actually, I was thinking of "Galaxy of Terror" - truly awful movie. And I agree, "frak" is one of the more realistic curse words, up there with "shazbot." But don't they have any other curse words? Everything is frak-this and frak-that. But considering **** and **** have been around since the 1600s, I think they can stand the test of time.