Saturday, August 08, 2009

TV-B-Gone

I read an interview on PBS.org with a guy who invented something called TV-B-Gone. It's basically a universal remote that can shut down any TV in the area. My first reaction was why would you want to do that? Then I read it's for turning off those ubiquitous TVs you find in public places. I started looking around at all the televisions that surround us. There's a TV in the break room here at my work. There's a TV at the doctor's office waiting room. There's a TV in the lobby of a potential employer. There's a TV in the bank. There are TVs everywhere, and we've just come to accept them as a part of our lives. And knowing that someone is paying to stick all these TVs in our faces makes it more galling to think about. So I say "good." Use these babies. Power to the people.

NOTE: There's a better interview at Wired.

1 comment:

Maurice Mitchell said...

I never notice them to be honest, but I can see how it could be useful. I'd hate to be the business that has people keep shutting off the TVs though.