Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Dragon Feathers: Eragon

I was watching the commercial for the new movie Eragon, which I don't plan to see...I don't understand the fascination with dragon-riding. If I had a dragon, I'd just send it around to destroy my enemies and report back. I don't need to ride on its back while it's doing it. And if there are other people riding dragons against me, even worse. I might get burned...and I noticed a weird thing. The dragons in the movie have feathers on their wings! That's just so wrong. Ever since the dawn of time, dragons have had bat-like wings. Why would they have feathers? They're not birds. I figure they did that to make their dragons seem more majestic. Maybe it's a chick-thing. Next thing, they'll have unicorns with scales.

8 comments:

glomgold said...

Hmm, that sounds incredibly wrong. It's not as though the author wrote it that way in the book either. I never really understood why studio execs make certain changes. Like in the Transformers show. Why would they change the name of 'Jetfire' to 'Skyfire'?

Maurice Mitchell said...

I thought that was wierd myself. It's generally exepted that dragons are portrayed as lizards. Addig feathers just messes with the whole genre. I have a demo of Eragon and the dragons have bat wings, so it must have been an idea late in the development cycle.

USELESS TRIVIA
BTW did you know the writer of the books started when he was 16! Talk about your prodigy.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Dear Sir,
Who would mess with the conventions of a beloved icon just for the sake of directorial whim!
Signed,
Sam Raimi

Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,
I agree with the last letter. When characters are established, you've got to respect the traditions.
Signed,
The guys who made Smallville.

Nigel G Mitchell said...

Eragon was a book? Why didn't I hear about that?

Nigel G Mitchell said...

Dear Sir,

Jetfire vs. Skyfire? Dude, you take your entertainment way too seriously.

Signed,
Star Wars fans, Star Trek fans, and Lord of the Rings fans

glomgold said...

Dear Sir,

The dragon feathers was just the beginning to our brilliant ideas!

Signed,
Eragon movie writers & producers who just made 3/4 of the shit up.

Anonymous said...

The movie was rather bland. Never read the book, so no idea how it compares. All I can remember, is that I read a book, about a realm called pern, that had dragons in it... and it was quite good. Good enough for me to remember it 18 years later.