Thursday, November 23, 2006

No Career For You: Michael Richards versus N-Words

I really, really, really liked Michael Richards, also known as "the guy who played Kramer on Seinfeld." I mean, really liked him. I was a fan of his before he made it big on Seinfeld, knew who he was when he played Stanley Spudowski on UHF. Always thought he was a comic genius, combining physical and verbal comedy with brilliant timing. But even I can't defend him now.

On Friday, Kramer was videotaped during a stand-up routine launching into a tirade against some black hecklers with the N-word. Multiple times. And not in a hip-hop sort of way, more like a redneck sort of way. I wanted to defend him, but I just can't. Watching the video is shocking and disturbing in a way that hurts deeply. I have to agree with several other people who call this a career-ending incident. It's not like he had much of a career to begin with. So ends the genius that was Michael Richards. We'll never see Seinfeld the same way again.

3 comments:

Nigel G Mitchell said...

Dear Sir,

What Michael Richards said is inexcusable. There's no justification for that kind of racist outburst.

Signed,
Mel Gibson

Nigel G Mitchell said...

Dear Sir,

That was kind of obvious. Couldn't that last comment have been from someone more original?

Signed,
Henry Ford

Maurice Mitchell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.